Friday, January 20, 2012

Week One

1. Explain or describe why you took this course. What are your specific interests in Greek and Roman women? What do you hope to gain from this course? How does it fit with your academic goals?

2. Create a magazine cover that best reflects what you have written about yourself above.

I took this course for a few different reasons. The first is that I am pleasantly surprised that Gonzaga can offer such a specific course. Last semester, I took Greek Gods and Heroes with Father Hartin. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Greek Goddesses. In particular, I liked learning about Aphrodite, and Amazonian women. Because of that class, and because I am taking Hebrew, I am able to achieve a classical civilizations minor. I can fulfill course requirements for my minor. But even though it fulfills my course of study requirements, I took this course because I thought it would be a fun thing to study.

I am a religious studies major with a Classical Civilizations Minor. If I could major in Anthropology, I would, but unfortunately Gonzaga does not offer it. I am particularly interested in studying Jewish history but I am also interested in learning about the state of Greece and Rome before Jesus. I hope to learn more about how women and minorities lived and were treated around and before the time of Jesus. This way I can examine the bible with a better knowledge of its audience. With my knowledge from the New Testament, I hope to be able to reexamine the bible through an anthropological and feminist lens. If at all possible, I would also like to research Jewish women during Hellenic times.

No comments:

Post a Comment