Thursday, September 30, 2010

I made it to Odyssey!

So there was a bit of confusion with how I was going to get to the Odyssey youth center. But I finally got things figured out. My roomate and a freshman honors student are going to trek it to Odyssey with me. We take the bus to get there (which is an experience in itself).


Basically my job as a volunteer at the resource center is to kick it with kids for two hours, and in the future plan some educational/social programs.

I was expecting to work with some hard-edged kids. I thought most of the kids would be very at-risk or in horrible family situations. I know there can be alot hiding behind the surface of teenagers, but these kids seemed pretty "normal". They were just a bunch of highschoolers.


I really enjoyed my first time volunteering at Odyssey. I had tons of fun. The kids there were super social, and active. I was surprised that they didnt utilize any of the games--it was like they didnt need to. They seemed interested in strengthening the bonds they had within friends. There were a few cliquey situations going on, which is bound to happen when you group high schoolers together. But they seemed for the most part very accepting of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment