Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Semester

So, a new semester has begun. I have attempted to apply for every institutional Job (except telefund) I could find and I haven't found anything. Sometimes I wonder, if I removed my volunteering at the resource center from my resume, would I get called back more often?

Anyway, HERO--Gonzaga's Gay straight alliance has started up. We have tons of new members, and some that have returned from studying abroad. I'm very excited for all of the events HERO is going to put on.

Also, I am volunteering at the LGBT resource center again. Not many people know that the resource center exists, so I'm going to try to fix that. Word of mouth might help. The last time I was volunteering, I picked up a publication that HERO created 3 years ago. It is called "Out of the Shadows." It has some artistic, poetic, and nonfictional short stories from the LGBTQIAA community at Gonzaga. Jen (HERO president) let me bring it up during a meeting--I want to make it a project of mine this year. So basically the idea will be to grab another editor and create a collage of works that describe how the LGBTQIAA community is treated by the Gonzaga community.

Also, today I am going to check out Odyssey, which is Spokane's youth center for LGBT teens. I will be volunteering there on Fridays. I can't wait!

I'm thinking of joining a program called the Drexel Leadership program, also known as an Americorps program, Students In Service. I would receive a grant to do 900 hours of community service over the course of two years. I think it would be a great way to reflect upon my service as a whole, and i would be able to try tons of new/random service activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment